So, recently the kid has taken to using finger quotes. And by "finger quotes," I mean when you want to indicate that you're speaking and putting something in quotes, so you put both hands up to either side of your face and make your second and third fingers act as living quotation marks. And by "using" I mean that she has been abusing them with hilarious effect.
I just asked her from where she got this. I got the famous, "I don't remember." Which makes me think it was either from me or the TV, two of her greatest influences. I mean granted, she sees plenty of other people, but those are always my primary suspects. Though now I wonder if her dad ever makes the finger quotes... I'm gonna have to ask him... I just don't see him doing it and I am having the strongest suspicion that iCarly is behind this.
Let me see if I can whip up an example. Blogging about stuff my kid says would be so much easier if a) I wrote things down when they occurred and b) my memory didn't suck a#$ really hard.
The first time I recall her abusing the finger quotes was when we were on the couch in the living room. She wanted the TV. At this point I should mention that we have four television sets in the house. If you do the math, and that's not hard, that breaks down to two television sets for each of us. But she was wondering when she could have the particular TV that I was watching (to which the DVR is hooked up, hence my particular interest in this TV). Please note that the words around which she puts the finger quotes are said with great emphasis.
ME: You can have this in a minute... show (probably Top Chef) is almost over, I just want to see who they are gonna send home then I gotta take a shower (I'd exercised, the only reason I can think I woulda been taking a shower at nighttime).
KAYLA: So, you are (finger quotes) saying that when you see who's (finger quotes) going home you're gonna get in the (finger quotes) shower and I can (finger quotes) do something.
Abusing and misusing the finger quotes? Absolutely. But if it's funny to her mother does it really matter? I don't think so.
The other day she was sitting on my lap and put her hand under my chin. "Are you growing a wattle? That's a nice wattle." I looked at her and then at my mother and then asked, "Where did you get that?" "From Grandma, she says." Grandma explains, "I told her that this area under my chin was my wattle. You know, like a turkey." "Yes, Mom, I know what a wattle is, I just didn't know that's what we were calling this now."
Also during some lap time today while I was on the computer, she pointed out that I seem to be growing a mustache. I told her that yes, this is why I see Bev from time to time and she rips out that hair and fixes up my eyebrows with hot wax. This is a very helpful kid. Pretty sure she's always gonna tell me how it is.
She has said several times that she loves me "more than anything in the universe." Also, since I still refer to her as the baby and Sarah makes fun of me for that and Samantha just pointed out today that is she is not actually a baby anymore, I said to her, "Is it okay with you if I always call you my baby?" She said, "Yes, even when I'm a teen!"
I told her I am going to record her saying that and that she loves me more than anything in the universe. I so need to record that and play it at that crucial moment in her teendom that she is giving me the largest amount of grief. I'll just need to remember that I've recorded it and know where to find it...
We were watching SpongeBob last night and it was the "Once Bitten" episode where they thought Gary had mad snail disease because he was going around biting everyone. Anyway, a snail doctor shows up and uses finger quotes like three times when trying to explain that Gary did *not* have mad snail disease and that this was causing (finger quotes) "mad hysteria."
ReplyDelete