And the question is... Why create another blog when I hardly post in the blog I already have? The title of this post is the answer.
I am always thinking about how fleeting this part of my kid's life is. You know, she's only going to be five for a year. Same with six. It was the same with with four. Thank goodness it was also this way with two and three (only sorta kidding about the way I phrased that). But you get the idea.
I feel like every single day she does something or says something and I think to myself, I want to remember that forever. So this blog is an attempt to help me do that. I love the idea of having something to share with her later so that, as the description says, she can see how much she's entertained me over the years.
Because she really has. She is like like the best anti-depressant that doesn't come in a bottle. She is joy personified. She is the reason I'm here. She's my heart. She is the best thing I've ever helped create, the best parts of her father and me all wrapped into a cute, sassy, crazy, opinionated, and ever-entertaining little package.
I hope to encourage everyone to think of ways to celebrate their kids. Maybe the fact that four people I know have recently added new babies to their lives is part of the inspiration for this blog. Kids are amazing. I look at these beautiful new additions to the lives of my friends and marvel at the fact that they have this incredible journey ahead of them, and it reminds me that it seems like only yesterday that I brought mine home from the hospital, a full-on base model human who lay there like a beautiful baby burrito, sleeping, crying, and pooping. And now she's this amazing little person with whom I have fantastic conversations. Nearly six years and in so many ways, it feels like it has flown right by.
I know, one day she is going to be a teenager and we are going to have plenty of times we get into it and argue (she is wired too much like her mother for this to be anything other than an inevitability) and yell things at each other that we wish we could take back. Perhaps the cops will even get called, and won't that be embarrassing? (I'm picturing us being really loud. I fear she is enough of a mini-me for this to be entirely possible.)
But in the meantime I am ever so appreciative of all the moments of amazement and awesomeness and just plain cuteness that result from just listening to her. I want to encourage everyone to listen and talk more to your kids. Sometimes they are just rambling. I mean literally, inexplicable crazy stuff that makes no sense except to them. But other times they are saying stuff that makes you go, "Oh my gosh, where the heck did they get that??" And I especially love it when something she says makes me laugh uproariously.
Last night we were watching WordGirl. One of my most favorite of all the cartoon shows. I am pretty sure I like it even more than Kayla does. Tim Botsford (WordGirl's dad and one of my favorite TV characters of ever) is talking about something and says, "Well, pepper my salsa!" Kayla and I look at each other and say at the same time (in identical "that's just so silly" voices), "Well, pepper my salsa." Then we both start busting up laughing. I'm laughing now thinking about it. "That's so weird," Kayla said, "We said it at the same time."
Weird and wonderful and goofy. Like many a night at our house, fortunately.
Life is about moments. Sure, life is also about the mundane things that we have to do every day to keep the world spinning and whatnot. But while running to the store or getting the kid dressed for school or while watching TV together or as you're wanting to pull your hair out while watching someone with next-to-no attention span do homework there are these little moments that are seemingly nothing at the time, but in reality, as far as I'm concerned, these moments are what life is all about.
Cherish them and celebrate them because they come and go so quickly.
How will you try to celebrate special moments today?
I hope to encourage everyone to think of ways to celebrate their kids. Maybe the fact that four people I know have recently added new babies to their lives is part of the inspiration for this blog. Kids are amazing. I look at these beautiful new additions to the lives of my friends and marvel at the fact that they have this incredible journey ahead of them, and it reminds me that it seems like only yesterday that I brought mine home from the hospital, a full-on base model human who lay there like a beautiful baby burrito, sleeping, crying, and pooping. And now she's this amazing little person with whom I have fantastic conversations. Nearly six years and in so many ways, it feels like it has flown right by.
I know, one day she is going to be a teenager and we are going to have plenty of times we get into it and argue (she is wired too much like her mother for this to be anything other than an inevitability) and yell things at each other that we wish we could take back. Perhaps the cops will even get called, and won't that be embarrassing? (I'm picturing us being really loud. I fear she is enough of a mini-me for this to be entirely possible.)
But in the meantime I am ever so appreciative of all the moments of amazement and awesomeness and just plain cuteness that result from just listening to her. I want to encourage everyone to listen and talk more to your kids. Sometimes they are just rambling. I mean literally, inexplicable crazy stuff that makes no sense except to them. But other times they are saying stuff that makes you go, "Oh my gosh, where the heck did they get that??" And I especially love it when something she says makes me laugh uproariously.
Last night we were watching WordGirl. One of my most favorite of all the cartoon shows. I am pretty sure I like it even more than Kayla does. Tim Botsford (WordGirl's dad and one of my favorite TV characters of ever) is talking about something and says, "Well, pepper my salsa!" Kayla and I look at each other and say at the same time (in identical "that's just so silly" voices), "Well, pepper my salsa." Then we both start busting up laughing. I'm laughing now thinking about it. "That's so weird," Kayla said, "We said it at the same time."
Weird and wonderful and goofy. Like many a night at our house, fortunately.
Life is about moments. Sure, life is also about the mundane things that we have to do every day to keep the world spinning and whatnot. But while running to the store or getting the kid dressed for school or while watching TV together or as you're wanting to pull your hair out while watching someone with next-to-no attention span do homework there are these little moments that are seemingly nothing at the time, but in reality, as far as I'm concerned, these moments are what life is all about.
Cherish them and celebrate them because they come and go so quickly.
How will you try to celebrate special moments today?
Agreed! She is my heart and amazes me everytime I am with her and laugh everytime. Great blog!
ReplyDelete