I'm in the office, finishing up a Facebook post before we get started on carving a pumpkin. For the record, I think I have only carved a pumpkin once before. If I have carved others then perhaps I've blocked out those experiences as a self-defense mechanism, but I only remember one time when the kid was maybe 2, almost 3, and we lived in Fairfield where we had a really nice big counter top (which might be the only thing I actually miss about that house and living in Fairfield), and I remember the kid sitting on the counter probably trying to "help," and I remember it was a very goopy and sloppy and messy thing to do. I'm sure Kayla's dad must have helped because that is really his kind of thing and why I would have been doing it at all, I'm not sure. Just to say I did it?
Anyway, I'm closing up the Facebook and I hear the PITTER PATTER PITTER PATTER that is Kayla running in her socked feet toward me. I turn around and say:
ME: Are you ready to get- (Then I notice she has on no shirt.) What happened to your shirt?
KAYLA: (Pounding her chest with both of her cute little hands) I'M GIBBEEEHHH!
ME: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
When you're not expecting an "I'm Gibby" moment, and I wasn't, because we don't have too many of those in our house, even though we are absolutely iCarly fans (I am not ashamed to say it) and of course, Gibby fans. Anyway, the surprise was the key. The kid gets it.
Note: This will make no sense whatsoever if you have not experienced Gibby. If you have not experienced Gibby then you don't have a little kid or you've been wise enough not to get sucked into Spencer's (Carly's older brother) shenanigans (like when he made corn juice or grew a lawn in the living room). And if that is the case, I salute you.
I'm compelled to edit even though I'd already posted this because we got started on the carving, and I foolishly was holding the top of the pumpkin in one hand and trying to cut off some of the flesh with the other hand, thinking that perhaps I would do something creative... Did anyone ever see that Martha Stewart Thanksgiving special from back in the day, like I think it would have been on PBS, where she made the pumpkin soup and used a hollowed out pumpkin as the "soup tureen?" I think I remember this so well because a) maybe at the time I had no idea what a tureen was and b) I was probably thinking who the hell makes pumpkin soup at the same time I was thinking c) this lady is kinda weird and wonderful (I would kill to find a video or picture of that for you.)
Anyway, not that I was gonna make pumpkin soup in a pumpkin shell tureen, but you know, something. So I'm FOOLISHLY (let's emphasize that) holding the bottom in one hand and the knife in the other and managed to get some of the flesh off before I SLICED right into my thumb. You know, the kinda slice where you put the pressure on it and take it off and then more blood bubbles out? Like that. So it's all gauzed and taped up and fingers crossed, I won't need any stitches but sheesh.
Here are the morals: I should not carve pumpkins. I should not be allowed to use knives or anything else that is sharp.
No comments:
Post a Comment